Oak Hill Cemetery -
Two unmarked graves in Oak Hill Cemetery in Griffin have led to speculation that John Henry Holliday's final resting place is back in his home soil.
Edna and Keith Reed
Edna Wilson with Keith Reed at the site of the Confederate Infantry Camp Stephens, McIntosh Road
On September 2nd, 1861, John's father, Henry Holliday accepted an appointment to serve as assistant quartermaster to the 27th Regiment, in the Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He could well have been mobilised through this camp to his appointment at Camp Pickens in Manassas, Virginia. On 25th December, 1861, Henry was promoted to quartermaster with the field rank of major.
West Solomon Street
A view of West Solomon Street, looking West from the site of the building once owned by John Holliday. How it must have changed since he last saw it.
116 W. Solomon Street
116 West Solomon Street, view taken from junction with Hill Street. For many years this was Cain's furniture store, but in 1999 the property was sold, refurbished and is now known as Alma Hall.
Second Floor Window
It is speculated that John Henry Holliday DDS practiced Dentistry for a short period in Griffin before leaving for Dallas, Texas, in September 1873.
The South West elevation of the building , shows a bricked up window and door on the second floor leading to what was a separate entrance. Access would have been from an alleyway that once ran alongside the building. Was this room John's Office?
Possible Site of Holliday Farm
In October, 1853, when John was 2 years old, his Father moved the family from (possibly) Tinsley Street, to a 147 acre farm, two and a half miles N W of Griffin. This is the how the approximate area, looks today.
Griffin Fire Station
John Henry Holliday was christened on Sunday, March 21st 1852, at the First Presbyterian Church in Griffin. On this site now stands Griffin Fire Station # 1
Original Spalding County Courthouse
Spalding County Court House, built in 1860 at the junction of E Broad Street and N 5th Streets. First officers of Spalding County, commissioned February 5th, 1852, included John's father, Henry B. Holliday, as Clerk of Superior Court
Spalding County Courthouse Sign
Sign outside the old Spalding County Courthouse, at Broad and 5th Streets. Spalding County was created by Act of December 20th, 1851 from Fayette, Henry and Pike Counties. It was named for Thomas Spalding (1774-
As an infant, John would have lived on Tinsley Street This photograph is the south side, on the block between Hill and Eighth Streets. It is known that John's father, Henry Burroughs Holliday, purchased a house here, prior to his marriage with Alice Jane McKey on January 8th, 1849.
North side of Tinsley Street, between Hill and Eighth Streets